Educational resources applicable to most fields of study.
- Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Course Aggregators
- Course Providers (Top Universities)
- Course Providers (Founded Online)
- Ask Questions, Get Answers
- Academic Search
- Search Engines
- WikipediaThe largest and most popular free encyclopedia in the world.
- Encyclopedia.comLook up encyclopedic articles from multiple established sources for every entry.
- ScholarpediaLike Wikipedia but peer-reviewed / currated by a community of experts.
- BritannicaA general knowledge English-language encyclopedia, written by 100 full-time editors.
- The Free Dictionary's EncyclopediaAn encyclopedia compiled from numerous sources, including The Columbia Encyclopedia, Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, Britannica Concise Encyclopedia, and more.
- List of Encyclopedias
Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Merriam-WebsterHigh quality American English dictionary and thesaurus.
- Oxford DictionariesFree online english dictionary, as well as multiple paid for dictionaries such as English-French, English-German, etc.
- WordReference.comFree online dictionaries - Spanish, French, Italian, German and more.
- WiktionaryCollaborative project for creating a free lexical database in every language, complete with meanings, etymologies, and pronunciations.
- YourDictionary.comThe easy to understand dictionary with example sentences, famous quotes and audio pronunciations. Includes: thesaurus, computer dictionary, investment dictionary, law dictionary and more.
- Dictionary.comDictionary and thesaurus with definitions, synonyms, antonyms, idioms, word origins, quotes, audio pronunciations, example sentences, etc.
- The Free DictionaryFree online dictionary, thesaurus, and encyclopedia with synonyms, definitions, idioms, abbreviations, and medical, financial, legal specialized dictionaries.
- WikisaurusA Wiktionary subproject and a wiki namespace aiming at creating a thesaurus—a dictionary of synonyms, antonyms and further semantically related terms such as hyponyms, hypernyms, meronyms and holonyms.
- Thesaurus.comFree online thesaurus by Dictionary.com
- Freethesaurus.comFree Thesaurus: synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
Ask Questions, Get Answers
- QuoraA question and answer website where you can ask just about anything and get a quality answear.
- Stack ExchangeA network of question and answer web sites, each site focusing on a specific topic.
- Wolfram|AlphaA computational knowledge engine which you can ask just about any quantitative question and get an answer.
- Class CentralA free online course/MOOC aggregator listing courses from top universities such as Stanford, MIT, Harvard, etc. offered via course providers such as Coursera, Udacity, edX, FutureLearn, and others.
- Academic EarthGood for video only courses.
- CourseBuffetA good alternative to Class Central.
- Class Central
Course Providers (Top Universities)
- CourseraTake online classes from 120+ top universities and educational organizations for free, but pay a small amount for the optional course certificate.
- edXMOOC's from the world's best universities including MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, UT and others.
- FutureLearnFree online courses from top universities and specialist organizations.
- MIT OpenCourseWareGet access to virtually all of MIT's course contents for free.
- Open Yale CoursesOpen Yale Courses provides free and open access to a selection of introductory courses taught by distinguished teachers and scholars at Yale University.
- Stanford on iTunes UStanfords iTunes U content.
- Harvard on iTunes UHarvards iTunes U content.
Course Providers (Founded Online)
- Khan AcademyA nonprofit on a mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone. Covers many academic topics.
A wide range of computer science and information technology courses built by companies such as Google, Amazon, Facebook, Adobe, etc.
- iTunes University
A platform for institutions to share educational content through iTunes.
Learn software, creative, and business skills to achieve your personal and professional goals.
- SkillshareA learning community for creators. Anyone can take an online class, watch video lessons, create projects, or teach a class themselves.
- UoPeopleThe world’s first non-profit, tuition-free, accredited, online, American university.
- Saylor AcademyA provider of free and open online courses and affordable college credit opportunities to students.
- University of RedditClasses born out of reddit communities.
- Khan Academy
Academic Search & Access
- Google ScholarA freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text and metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)An online directory that indexes and provides access to quality open access, peer-reviewed journals.
- ScopusThe largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature. Search and access research from the science, technology, medicine, social sciences and arts and humanities fields.
- arXivOpen e-print archive with over 100.000 articles in physics, 10.000 in mathematics, and 1.000 in computer science.
- Microsoft Academic SearchFind information about academic papers, authors, conferences, journals, and organizations from multiple sources.
- Google Scholar
Books & eBooks
Sites and platforms where you can find books and book metadata.
- Full Text Search
- Free and Freely Accessible Books
- World Classics
- Recommended Reading Lists
- Book Catalogs & Communities
- Shop for Books
- Subscription Based eBook Services
- Book Price Comparisons
Full Text Search
Free and Freely Accessible Books
- Project GutenbergA volunteer effort to digitize and archive cultural works, all of their ebooks aim for high quality and were previously published by bona fide publishers, founded in 1971.
- Hathi TrustHathiTrust is a partnership of academic and research institutions, offering a collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world.
- Internet Archive: eBooks and TextsThe Internet Archive and Open Library offers over 8,000,000 fully accessible and texts.
- eBooks@AdelaideA collection of free ebook editions of significant works from the past.
- BartlebyBartleby publishes thousands of free online classics of reference, literature and nonfiction.
- Feedbooks (Public Domain Section)Thousands of public domain eBooks with high-quality typesetting in multiple formats (such as EPUB, Kindle, and PDF).
- The Online Books PageListing over 2 million free books on the Web.
- LibriVox Audio BooksExtensive collection of free audio books read by volunteers with the goal of recording every book in the public domain.
- WikisourceA Wikimedia Foundation project to create a growing free content library of source texts, as well as translations of source texts in any language.
- List of digital library projects
- Project Gutenberg
- Boundless Disrupting the big textbook publishers by offering textbooks online, for free.
- OpenStax CNX A global knowledge sharing community that breaks information down into small, easily-digestible chunks.
- The National Academy Press A large collection of textbooks, most can be downloaded for free as PDFs, or baught in print.
- Textbook Revolution Free, open source textbooks.
- CK-12 CK-12 Foundation provides a library of free online textbooks, videos, exercises, flashcards, and real world applications for over 5000 concepts from arithmetic to history.
- Wikibooks An open-content textbooks collection that anyone can edit.
- Open Library: Classic LiteratureOpen Library classic literature section.
- Goodreads: ClassicsGoodreads classics section.
- Classic ReaderSearch an online library of thousands of free books by authors such as Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare, etc.
- The Internet Classics ArchiveA classics literature archive by MIT.
- Open Library: Classic Literature
Recommended Reading Lists
- 4chan's Recommended Reading ListThe best recommended reading list on the web.
- 4chan's Recommended Reading List
Book Catalogs & Communities
- Open LibraryAn online project intended to create "one web page for every book ever published".
- GoodreadsDiscover and share books.
- LibraryThingLibraryThing is a social cataloging web application for storing and sharing book catalogs and various types of book metadata. It is used by authors, individuals, libraries, and publishers.
- Read PrintA free online library.
- Open Library
Shop for Books
- Amazon Look up books, ebooks, and audio books on Amazon.
- Barnes & Noble Look up books, ebooks, and audio books on Barnes & Noble.
- Google Play Books The book store in Google's Google Play.
- iBooks Deticated Apple products book store (iPad, iPad mini, iPhone, iPod touch, etc).
- AbeBooks Millions of new and used books, rare books and out of print books.
- Book Depository International bookstore, worldwide free delivery.
- Kobo Large selection of eBooks.
Subscription Based eBook Services
Book Price Comparisons
Skills, Topics, Hobbies, Personal Development
Educational resources for common skills and topics of study.
- Language Learning
- Drawing & Painting
- Fitness & Health
- HowTo + DIY
- Khan Academy Math
Khan Academy's Mathematic section.
- Brilliant: Excel in math and science
Learn from wiki pages and problems written by a community of mathematicians, scientists, and engineers.
The Wikipedia for adaptive and interactive education. Contains lots of interactive learning modules for Math and Science topics.
- Encyclopedia of Mathematics
The Encyclopedia of Mathematics wiki is an open access resource designed specifically for the mathematics community.
- Better Explained
Descriptions of a variety of math topics from arithmetic to calculus using examples and historical connotations. Includes graphs and diagrams.
- Mathematics Stack Exchange
Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields.
- Khan Academy Math
- Open Source Society University
Path to a free self-taught education in Computer Science.
Find free online courses, make a career change, or get a new job by completing a Nanodegree program. Self paced online learning with code reviews.
- Free Code Camp
Learn to code by joining an education based community of developers working on nonprofit open source projects solving real world problems.
- Code School
Learn to code in the comfort of your browser with video tutorials, programming challenges, and screencasts.
Treehouse is an online interactive education platform that offers courses in web, mobile and business development.
- MIT: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
MIT's computer science coursware.
- Learn to Code the Hard Way
If you've always wanted to learn programming but failed in the past, then this is your next book (programming for absolute beginners).
- Freely Available Programming Books
List of free programming books and learning resources
- Stack Overflow
A language-independent collaboratively edited question and answer site for programmers.
- Programmers Stack Exchange
A question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development.
- Open Source Society University
- Khan Academy: Finance
Khan Academy's Economic and Finance section.
A site educating people about finance.
- Khan Academy: Finance
Learn languages completely free, without ads or hidden charges. It's fun, easy, and scientifically proven.
Claim to be able to teach you a language in 200 hours.
Verbling is an online platform where language learners take lessons with professional teachers. All teachers are approved based on certification and experience.
The Memrise community uses images and science to make learning languages easy and fun.
Busuu is the world's largest social network for language learning. Connect for free with native speakers worldwide on your computer, tablet or mobile.
- Dictionaries & Thesauruses
List of dictionaries and thesauruses.
- BBC Languages
Free online language learning: courses, audio, video and games, including the alphabet, phrases, vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, activities and tests.
- Open Culture Language Lessons List
Drawing & PaintingCoursesInformationBooksCommunitiesTools
- CG Master Academy
Computer Graphics Master Academy (CGMA) is a leading provider of online digital art education. Through our CG Master Classes, and inexpensive Master Workshops, we provide comprehensive instruction for Concept Art, Illustration, and Entertainment Design.
- Draw a Box
A free exercise based approach to learning the fundamentals of drawing.
Teach yourself digital painting for free.
Drawspace offers diverse downloadable and printable drawing lessons featuring Brenda Hoddinott's unique and highly acclaimed style of teaching.
- Save Loomis
Andrew Loomis was an American illustrator, author, and art instructor, these are his instruction books.
- Google Art Project
Virtual Museum & Art Gallery
- WikiArtWikiArt is an online, user-editable visual art encyclopedia.
- Oxford Art Online
Oxford Art Online offers access to the most authoritative, inclusive, and easily searchable online art resources available today.
MyPaint is an easy-to-use painting program which works well with Wacom graphics tablets and other similar devices.
Inkscape is professional quality vector graphics software which runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
GIMP is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program.
Adobe Photoshop is a raster graphics editor developed and published by Adobe Systems for Windows and Mac OS.
Adobe Illustrator is a vector graphics editor developed and marketed by Adobe Systems.
- CG Master Academy
Fitness & HealthCoursesInformationBooksCommunitiesTools
- Simple Science Fitness
Learn how to burn fat and build muscle naturally, backed up by science. The one-stop resource for nutrition and exercise information.
- Fitloop - Bodyweight Fitness Routine
Establish a fitness routine using nothing but your bodyweight.
- Reddit r/Fitness Wiki
A good fitness wiki.
- Simple Science Fitness
HowTo + DIYCoursesInformationBooksCommunitiesTools
Instructables is a place that lets you explore, document, and share your DIY creations.
Makezine celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend any technology to your own will.
Crowdsourced information on how to do just about anything.
Learn the Styles of Meditation that will take your Practice to the Next Level
- BASIC Mindfulness
Learn to meditate in a secular scientific framework.
- BASIC Mindfulness (Reading Section)
BASIC Mindfulness eBooks.
- The Mind Illuminated
A complete meditation guide integrating buddhist wisdom and brain science.
Mastering The Core Teachings of The Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book
- Access to Insight (Library Section)
Access to Insight's text library includes hundreds of short essays, books on meditation practice and Buddhist doctrine.
- Access to Insight
Readings in Theravada Buddhism.
OpenSit is a free community for people to share and deepen their meditation practice.
- The Dharma Overground
The Dharma Overground is a resource for the support of practices that actually lead to beneficial, fundamental mental, perceptual and emotional transformations.
Thelemapedia is the original encyclopedia of Thelema and Magick focusing on the works and philosophy of Aleister Crowley.
The Philosophy & Psychology of Thelema, Occultism, O.T.O., and Magick
Blog with a focus on magick, mysticism, mythology, esoteric spirituality, shamanism, witchcraft, psychonautics and any tradition or tool that you can use to change your reality for the better.
- The Hermetic Library
A collection of texts and sites relating to Hermeticism in a broad sense, the Western Esoteric Tradition, and Aleister Crowley's Thelema.
- The Journal of Thelemic Studies
The Journal of Thelemic Studies
Educational and "edutainment" video channels.
- MIT OpenCourseWare (YouTube)Large collection of course videos from MIT, second best thing to actually taking their classes.
- MITVideoThe MIT Video website aggregates and curates video produced by the Institute's offices, laboratories, centers and administration. This includes feature and editorial videos, event recordings, academic content and more.
- Yale CoursesLarge collection of course videos from Yale, second best thing to actually taking their classes.
- VideoLectures.NETLectures from institutions around the world.
- TED Talk (Ideas Worth spreading)TED is a platform for ideas worth spreading. Started in 1984 as a conference where technology, entertainment and design converged, TED today shares ideas from a broad spectrum — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages.
- TED Ed (Lessons Worth sharing)TED-Ed’s commitment to creating lessons worth sharing is an extension of TED’s mission of spreading great ideas.
- The RSAEngaging educational animations.
- The School of LifeThe School of Life is a place that tries to answer the great questions of life with the help of culture.
- In a Nutshell – KurzgesagtHigh quality "In a Nutshell" type animations exploring science and reality.
- Crash CourseCrash course type animations and videos on topics such as World History, Biology, Literature, Ecology, Chemistry, Psychology, and more.
- MinutePhysicsFun and informative animations on the subject of physics.
- MinuteEarthAnimations on the science of our planet.
- Instead of TVAn online "TV Channel" that mixes educational youtube videos into a single stream.
- Brain PumpLearn something new and feed your curiosity with Brain Pump. Learn from a vast library of entertaining videos on topics ranging from Chemistry, Physics and Computer Science, to History, Economics and DIY.
- Youtube EduOverview of YouTube's educational videos.
List of lists similar to Web Study List.
- Blog Posts & Articles
- Social Media
- Quora: Which are some cool websites to learn something new?
- Quora: What are some free online education resources?
- Hacker News: What are the most intellectually stimulating websites?
- Reddit: What are the most intellectually stimulating websites?
- Quora: What are the best websites for NOT wasting your time?
- Reddit: What are the best websites for NOT wasting your time?
- Quora: Besides Quora, what are the best web sites to learn new things?
- Quora: What are the best YouTube channels for learning, growth and development?